With the 20th overall pick of the 2022 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers selected Pittsburgh QB Kenny Pickett. What will Pickett’s rookie contract look like, and where does he project into the Steelers’ current depth chart?
Kenny Pickett drafted 20th overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers
After Ben Roethlisberger retired, the Steelers were always going to be in the market for a QB. Their selection of Pickett keeps a player that played at Pitt at home in the Steel City.
Pickett’s projected rookie contract
Because Pickett was the 20th overall selection in the 2022 NFL Draft, this is what his projected rookie contract should look like. Contract numbers are from Over the Cap.
- Total Value: $15.9 million
- Signing Bonus: $8.7 million
- 2022 Base Salary: $705,000
- 2022 Cap Number: $2.9 million
Pickett’s strengths and areas to improve
Here is a snapshot of what the Steelers will be getting with the selection of Pickett. For further information, check out Pickett’s full scouting report.
- Displays incredible patience in the pocket, scans the field, and goes through progressions
- Protects the football, does not make poor decisions on the field, and shows great wherewithal
- Drops into the pocket with proper footwork, takes a big hit in order to get the throw away, and pulls himself off the ground and gets back into the huddle
Areas for improvement
- Needs to put in a lot of extra effort to get speed on throws and get the ball downfield
- Cannot drive long throws, which leads to a loss of opportunity
- Hand size will be an issue for some teams
When do the Steelers pick next in the 2022 NFL Draft?
As of the time they drafted Pickett, the Steelers have these remaining picks in the 2022 NFL Draft.
- Round 2 (Pick 52)
- Round 3 (Pick 84)
- Round 4 (Pick 138*)
- Round 6 (Pick 208 from Kansas City)
- Round 7 (Pick 225 from Jets)
- Round 7 (Pick 241)
For the full results and upcoming draft order, check out our pick-by-pick tracker for the 2022 NFL Draft.